On 10/21/2010 08:06 AM, Anthony wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 8:32 AM, Greg Troxel<g...@ir.bbn.com>  wrote:
So if we have whole-multiple-counties=5 (eg
NYC) county=6 township=7 city/town=8 then it would make sense
everywhere.

What would be an example of a township that would be at admin_level=7?

So...if they don't do that much, should they be mapped as admin_level?
  I was told that school districts don't count, because they don't do
enough, which has me totally confused as to what it is we're supposed
to be mapping.

It’s not about whether they do that much; it’s about whether they’re administered by a government. School boards are a part of the government yes, but they’re don’t govern the districts that they cover.

Compare to postal codes…yes, it’s from an agency of the government but a post office does not govern the area that it serves.

Is there anyone else who, in the United States, uses the notion of
admin_level?  In other words, the notion that administrative districts
across the entire country can be ranked from 1-9 (or 1 to whatever)?
The big problem is that that administrative districts in the US aren't
really hierarchical, or, at least, many of them are not.

The point of admin_level is *not* primarily to record which governments are above another. It’s to indicate which governments across different countries and states are (approximately) equivalent. e.g. in the US, counties are counties are counties are Louisiana parishes are Alaska Boroughs are Virginia counties and cities and are at the same level as municipalities in Mexico, /powiaty/ in Poland, districts in Turkey, etc. It doesn’t matter whether that “thing” is higher or lower than townships or states or provinces or what-have-you. It just matters that they’re pretty much equivalents among countries. The details may differ, but they’re close to the same thing.

It’s useful for making a map that looks consistent everywhere without having to have rules based on every single possible name for every administrative area across all sorts of countries, states, and other levels of bureaucracy. There’s a nice list of names for things if you want to see the huge mass of possibilities [1].

If you want to give the name of the administrative entity, use border_type [2].

—Alex Mauer “hawke”.

1. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:admin_level#admin_level
2. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:border_type