On 8 November 2010 11:41, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>wrote:

> 2010/11/8 Tom Chance <t...@acrewoods.net>:
>  > culture=art_gallery: a place where the primary purpose is the temporary
> > exhibition of art works for artistic appreciation
>
> _and_ who nevertheless sell art? saatchi for instance I'm not sure if
> the do it "principally for artistic appreciation".

I think it would be rather cynical to suggest even their gallery is
primarily for flogging a product, rather than exhibiting art for
appreciation ;-) We also shouldn't document that all art galleries must
always sell the art they exhibit - sometimes exhibited art works aren't for
sale.

 > culture=museum, museum=art (or similar): a place where the primary
> purpose
> > is to hold permanent exhibitions of art works for artistic appreciation
> and
> > study
>

> I don't agree on "permanent". Many museums have changing exhibitions.
> But the also have a collection. Maybe this could be the key: do the
> expose the art which they own or lend from other museums, or do the
> expose "on commission" (until someone buys it, it remains property of
> the artist-> gallery). I would consider tate britain or tate modern
> museums and not galleries for instance.

That distinction works for me. Museums of art, including the Tate galleries,
aim to preserve and exhibit works for public appreciation and study that
they own or have on loan from other museums. Art galleries aim to exhibit
art works without that role of preservation and ownership.

Regards,
Tom