Like everything else on this list, these are just my opinions and I'm sure
others will have a different take.  Here is what I would do.

A new key should go through the same proposal process.  Since your focus is
on defining trees that would be in a nursery, you could create a Plant
proposal that had the detail you want in trees but leave placeholders for
everything else: herbs, grasses, vines, etc.

I can't imagine anyone would expect you to fully define the entire kingdom
Plantae (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plant).  As others have the need to
refer to other plants, they can add to it.

I went through a similar process when I wanted to define a Homeless Shelter.
 It made sense to work with another user on his definition of
"social_facility", of which homeless shelter was a subtype.  I haven't got
around to cleaning up Homeless Shelter though...

Sean