On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 8:58 PM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On 12/22/2010 01:47 AM, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> I'm not seeing how this is the "ACTUAL reference number" - it's just a
>> way ODOT refers to segments of road for some internal uses.
>
> It's the reference number that actually belongs to the way.
How? It's an inventory number that the DOT uses  It doesn't "belong to
the way" any more than the name or the route number.

> Most US
> highway departments, if not all of them, have these numbers posted on
> markers along the way and most highway departments use the way
> references almost exclusively in engineering documents, public hearings
> and with contractors.
My experience is that Florida most definitely does not post any sort
of inventory number. The most they'll do is mileposts, and then mainly
only on freeways. As for other states, I remember Pennsylvania doing
it by county (thus the number is non-unique) and most other Eastern
Seaboard states using nothing.

> It's data that is at least on level with survey
> markers in terms of importance, and at least those have a consistent
> method for tagging.
I don't see anything useful in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=survey+marker&go=Go
- what's the consistent method of tagging them?