Adding to the confusion, many of the people in this current discussion seem to
interpret "capital" as meaning the primary city of a region or country (without
defining whether they mean largest population, leading cultural center, etc.),
instead of the standard meaning of "capital", namely the administrative center.
 The "administrative center" meaning is the one given in the wiki, by the way.

The same city may fit both definitions, or it may not.  Washington, D.C., for
example, is the administrative center of the USA, and is normally referred to
as the capital of the USA, but is the primary city in the USA only in the
administrative sense.  It is only the eighth-largest metropolitan area in terms
of population; New York City is the largest city in terms of population, and is
also much more prominent in economic terms, as a center of the arts, etc.  The
Los Angeles would be in second place in terms of population, economic
importance, and the arts.  Not only are neither New York City and Los Angeles
considered the capital of the USA, neither one is a state capital, either.
Albany is the capital of New York State, and Sacramento is the capital of
California.