On 2/15/2011 10:22 PM, Andrew Errington wrote:
Hi,

I have noticed inconsistencies and discrepancies in motorway names here in
Korea.  I can fix this because I have photographed the roadsigns which give
the correct names, however, the motorway ways are split into many (many!)
segments due to bridges, tunnels, changes in numbers of lanes or speed limits
etc.  Plus, there are two ways for each segment (one in each direction).

Is there a tool which will 'follow' a way based on some unchanging tag (e.g.
ref=*) and alter other tags on each segment it finds?  I only want to change
the name=* tag.  I don't want to change any other tags as they represent
other mappers' work.

Use the xapi in JOSM to download all motorways in the area, or all ref=*, or whatever: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Xapi (ctrl-L and paste the URL)
Then select all the ways (ctrl-F type:way ref=*) and change the tags.