On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 15:24 -0400, Richard Weait wrote:

> Also locally, a "gymnasium" is a large indoor sport floor which can be
> configured for multiple sports like gymnastics, basketball,
> volleyball, murderball, etc.  taginfo says only 16 instances of
> leisure=gymnasium are in OSM at the moment.  A lone gymnasium would
> seem unusual around here.  They are typically included as part of a
> leisure=sports_centre.  Does that match with experiences elsewhere?
>
> Is the distinction between gym and gymnasium too fine?  Should
> synonyms be found?

I think the distinction is fairly clear.  A 'gymnasium' is where
gymnastics are done (such as spring board, horse, and various rolls and
flips.  A 'gym' is more where you stay in one place (or move from
location to location after a period of time) but specifically target one
area, for example bench-press, chin-ups or sit-ups/push-ups.

> And what about martial arts dojos?  Amenity=dojo and sport=dojo are
> rare indeed with only a handful of entries.

I suspect that in western culture, gyms are much more common than
dojo's.  The fact that theyre rare in OSM, I believe is indicative of
their relative rarity (when compared to gyms) in the western world.

David