On 29/06/2011 14:19, Mike N wrote:

I don't see these edits as out of line or unusual. It's not so different from the dozens of other projects to create more unified tags so that data consumers have a chance of using the right tag.
I suspect the "tags" you're talking about in other projects don't have quite the same significance as they do in OSM. Can you give us an example of what you mean?

I see bulk-changing one tag to another in this way as being equivalent to changing a method name in an open source library without changing its functionality, just to make the name nicer. Anyone using that method in their code will get a compilation error all of a sudden, but nothing has actually improved in the library. You break some people's use of the data without having a net benefit.

To put it another way, if the edits could be done using a simple algorithm, they haven't added anything to the OSM data itself, since that algorithm could be applied as post-processing. It's just rearranging deck chairs.