On 07/20/2011 11:58 PM, Georg Feddern wrote:
> Nathan Edgars II schrieb:
>> Many toll plazas now have high-speed electronic toll lanes. Tagging
>> seems haphazard. As I see it, the choices are:
>> *What gets tagged as motorway vs. motorway_link?
>> *What gets the name, ref, and relation membership?
>> [...] So the question is whether to use motorway_link for what's
>> signed as an exit, or to consistently use motorway for either cash or
>> for high-speed.
>
> I would use _link only, if it really links between two different ways,
> maybe even of the same type.
> But here I think it is just one highway going through, so I would not
> tag it as link.

I disagree, since toll plazas that have cash tollbooths almost
universally give it signage analogous to weigh stations, rest areas and
exits, which all use links.  The only difference being the link into the
toll plaza terminates into a link back to the mainline highway.

> The toll point itself has to be considered as a slow down - essentially
> and visually by the user and supportively by a router.
> Using _link for the non-electronic lane may irritate 'normal' routers to
> prefer the electronic toll lane - and that may lead a non-electronic
> user in a dead-end. (downward compatibility as a security fall back)
> In this case the router should discriminate the lanes only by access
> tags (see below) - but not by the highway tag itself.

Since you're not allowed to use electronic toll lanes in most places
(E 470, which lacks cash-only lanes being a notable exception) unless
you've been given permission (and usually a tag, sticker or windshield
dongle) to do so, it makes sense to mark electronic toll lanes past cash
toll plazas as private.  This has the effect of routers announcing toll
plazas in advance for drivers that are unfamiliar with the area (and
thus probably don't have a pass), while still being easy to ignore for
folks who do have permission to go straight through without stopping.