There are also many other uses for a static ship. I've seen one used as
party hall (a river boat), one as restaurant (a passenger see ship) and two
as a museum (a sailing ship and a fishers ship). So building=ship seems the
best solution to me as the building=* tag doesn't imply usage but does imply
a certain look of the feature.

A new static_ship=* tag seems overkill to me and causes unwanted redundancy.
You'll get tag combos like

static_ship=museum
amenity=museum

or

static_ship=restaurant
amenity=restaurant

And what to do with entrances? A building can have nodes tagged with
building=entrance. But if you consider a static ship not as a building, than
you need a new entrance tag.

And what about refinement? If you want to tag if it's a passenger ship, a
river boat or some other type? With the building=* tag, you can use
refinement tags like we all know them:

building=ship
ship=river_boat

or

building=ship
ship=sailing_ship

While with the static_ship=* tag, using conventional refinement tags isn't
possible.