state=alternate is used in Belgium and The Netherlands for the cycle and
hiking node networks with numbered nodes. It means that there are 2 routes
connecting 2 numbered nodes. A 'default'/'preferred'/'normal' one and an
alternative one. (shortcut, more pittoresque). This implies that 2 route
relations are used for this situation.

Maybe state=alternative would have been a better choice. What do you think?
Or should I go to tagging with such a question? (I'm revising all of those
(cycle) routes anyway)

state=connection is used to indicate that there is an additional connection
from (the middle of) a route to either: another (middle of a) route, a
numbered node or maybe a city/village center.

Polyglot