Let's consider two well known examples:

building=* => usually by default area=yes, a non-closed way may be considered as invalid(?)
highway=* => usually by default area=no, even if a closed way

A common default value would lead to either
~56M area=yes on buildings
or
~52M area=no on highways

while both could be done by useful, well thought, but different default assumptions.
About your example, Marl: