IMO tagging a mini - no matter how large it is - as a way would be
inconsistent with our way we map (most?) features. When mapping a
street, we draw the way where one can drive/go. On a normal roundabout
you can not drive in the middle, that's why we map it as circle. We
agreed on junction=roundabout on a node just for the sake of
simplicity, because otherwise people who don't want to draw circles
tag them with mini_roundabout and our data quality suffers.

Contrary on a mini-roundabout you can drive in the middle (ignoring
any legal restrictions now), that's why we don't draw a loop but just
a junction and add the tag highway=mini_roundabout to the junction
node. Drawing it as a loop would be imo inconsistent.

If you want to specify the dimension of the mini-roundabout I think it
would be sufficient to specify the width of the approaching roads.

Martin