On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 3:13 AM, Martin Vonwald <imagic....@gmail.com> wrote:
> IMO tagging a mini - no matter how large it is - as a way would be
> inconsistent with our way we map (most?) features. When mapping a
> street, we draw the way where one can drive/go.

Well, there are numerous intersections which are mapped as ways, not as nodes.

As mentioned before (with respect to the Magic Roundabout, but it
occurs in many other places), what is one supposed to do when there is
a mini-roundabout at the intersection of a dual carriageway?
Intersections of dual carriageways are generally mapped as ways, not
nodes.

> Contrary on a mini-roundabout you can drive in the middle (ignoring
> any legal restrictions now), that's why we don't draw a loop but just
> a junction and add the tag highway=mini_roundabout to the junction
> node. Drawing it as a loop would be imo inconsistent.

http://osm.org/go/ZDdzZWx4s--

That intersection is drawn as a square, but in reality you can drive
in the middle.