I made a proposal page at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Awards_and_ratings
with the proposed tagging
award:<award_system>=<award_value>
It seems general enough to handle most cases.

##Key:stars
There is already a tagging-scheme in use for tagging hotels star-rating,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Stars
stars=<number_of_stars>
It would be nnice if the proposed awards:-scheme could somehow be an extension
of the existing stars-scheme.

One limitation to the stars-scheme is that it´isn´t clear what kind of award-
system or scale that the stars are relating to. In many cases this would be
pretty straigth forward, if there is an "established" system in acountry for
instance.And if it isn´t clear one could add some kind of source-info. The
only real limtiation would be if there of some reason are more than one award
system that is relevant to a feature and someone feels the need to tag both
(not a pressing matter so far, I should think).

A possible extension of the existing could be
stars:<award_system>=<number_of_stars>
that way the prefix stars: works the same way as a prefix award:.
I think it easy to understand and maybe award: could be used for all awards:
except those common ones that have stars (or similar) as unit?

##<award_value>
a question for the proposal is how to tag the value of the tag.
should it be
award:<award_system>=3 stars
award:<award_system>=3_stars
award:<award_system>=3stars
award:<award_system>=3

I have noticed that units often are kept out of the values,
for me it would come natural to write
award:<award_system_name>:<award_system_unit>=3
award:<award_system_name>:stars=3
(but it is probably just an attempt to get the two schemes closer to each
other)