On Aug 14, 2012 6:43 AM, "Pieren" <pier...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM, David ``Smith'' <vidthe...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > tracks=*: number of tracks represented by the way having the tag, as per
> > wiki
> > total_tracks=*: number of tracks in the right-of-way of the rail line,
> > regardless of how many parallel ways exist.  This sounds more like a tag
> > appropriate for a rail route relation, except this value can be
different
> > for different segments of the line, so its use on ways is appropriate.
>
> I'm even not sure we need a tag counting the amount of tracks if we
> create a relation (it needs some computation).
> But I'm afraid that RM is "tagging for the renderer" ITO map reailway
> tracks...

Tagging for a class of renderers perhaps.  Considering the use case of
drawing a railway map colored by how many parallel tracks, it would be
easier to just extract that information from a simple tag than to perform
some nontrivial geometric analysis which might still yield a different
result from the obvious-to-a-human answer in some places. Personally, I
think this use case is common enough to expect multiple such maps to be
created by different people, who would each have to implement that
geometric analysis separately, unless the information is present in a
simple tag.

A little bit of redundancy is fine if it makes the data significantly
easier to use, IMO.