Isn't that what turn restrictions are for?

Colin

On 20/08/2012 13:10, Markus Lindholm wrote:
On 20 August 2012 12:57, Markus Lindholm <markus.lindh...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 20 August 2012 09:39, Elena ``of Valhalla'' <elena.valha...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 2012-08-19 at 14:09:18 +0200, Markus Lindholm wrote:
In my opinion it's best to treat legal separation (i.e. solid_line)
the same way as physical separation, i.e. create two separate
highways, one in each direction.
This doesn't correspond to reality: I believe that an emergency
vehicle can cross a solid line, while of course they would
have problems with a physically separated road.
I consider legal restrictions to be part of reality. Also consider
that a physical separation might be nothing more than a 20cm high curb
that could be as easy to cross for an emergency vehicle as a painted
line.
One other aspect: it would not be possible to create correct routes
from an address that's in a middle of a block where the the street has
lanes in both direction but that are legally separated. Now if the
shortest route would be to turn left (in a country with right hand
traffic) but the legal route would require to start the trip by going
right, there's no way to express that without having to separate
highways, one in each direction.

/Markus