I remember this happening, and it seemed like a Good Thing at the time,
although I had only mapped one ford.

It was suggested that highway=ford should be deprecated and replaced with
ford=yes.

So "ford" itself is not lost, it has moved from a value to become a key.

I like this approach.  Do you think it's such a bad thing?

Best wishes,

Andrew