I can see nothing wrong with tagging a single track road as lanes =1.
Single track roads are rarely the same width along their entire length, and the
term will be understood by UK drivers. Usual width is, I would guess, between
2.5 and 3 metres, but this varies. Sometimes, but not often there are signed
passing places.
Adding width tags to every single track road will be a lit of work, whereas
selecting and tagging lanes=1 is easy.

The more difficult ones, which are wide enough for 2 cars to pass, these are
the ones not wife enough for a centre line. These do need a width tag.
On many roads the centre line is intermittent as the road width varies.
These need the way to be split.

 Phil
--

Sent from my Nokia N9

On 13/10/2012 20:12 Martin Vonwald (imagic) wrote:

Am 13.10.2012 um 14:48 schrieb Janko Mihelić <jan...@gmail.com>:

> I don't like the "lanes" tag where there are no lines on the street, it
> misses the point.

It completely misses the point! The lanes tag should only be used for lanes
that are somehow marked - usually with lines.

A narrow bridge is a narrow bridge: a bridge with a small width. Therefore
simply use the width key.

Martin