I don't think we need to make it complicated. The Conditional Restrictions syntax is a bit overkill here. The restriction type is already known (type=restriction), so is the value (restriction=no_left_turn). What is left is just the condition (plus eventually a transport mode).

I already mentioned the following proposal on the talk page http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relation:restriction#Conditional_restrictions :

* condition=<condition>
* condition:<transportation_mode>=<condition>
(<condition> uses the condition values from Conditional Restrictions)

The need for the transportation mode variant will like be small as restriction:<transportation mode>=* should already cover this.

In my opinion there are no reasons to make it more complicated than that. It is backward compatible and easy to understand by mappers.

It would deprecate "hour_on", "hour_off" etc. I believe it may be better to keep "except" but I would like to see real-world examples of conditional exceptions before adapting a Conditional Restrictions like syntax for that key (is your example 3 real?).

Ole / polderrunner