2012/10/29 Pieren <pier...@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM, Martin Koppenhöfer
> <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't like this tag proposal. i think we should clearly separate the
> support (wall, flag, board) and the function (what is painted or
> sticked on it) like we do for buildings and shops or whatever is
> inside. As said on the wiki, it is overlapping with similar objects
> tagging, like flagpoles (2791 in taginfo) or billboards (855 + 33)
> which are not necessarely advertising. This "advertising" should be
> always a subkey where the primary key is the support. Otherwise you
> will keep the confusion that sometimes it's a subkey (eg. flagpole)
> and sometimes not.

Actually I don't see this "subkey" vs "mainkey"-problem. There can be
objects with more than one "main" key without being a real problem.
You might also use advertising as an attribute (advertising=yes).

There are already 1269 advertising=billboard in the database (my guess
is based on this proposal) while the man_made=billboard (is this what
you are refering to above, right?) is marked obsolete
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Billboard and
seems to be an almost duplication of the advertising proposal (so I
agree that it is obsolete).

When thinking about the key, please also consider importance. How many
people do want all those advertising features in their db? Using an
own key will make it much easier to filter this out, compared to the
situation if we used man_made or even amenity for these.

In the case of a flagpole it isn't necessarily a "subkey", it is
describing an advertising flag, while a flagpole is a pole (and could
have a flag attached or even not), but I am not insisting on this. My
main values are sign, column, billboard and screen and maybe
wall_painting (because there are some nice historic ones), the rest is
fine for me, but I don't care much (i.e. sculpture, flag) because they
don't apply to the areas I map (AFAIR they were added on suggestion
from other mappers or they added them themselves).

> Also, one parameter for billboards regulation is the size but also the
> elevation (at least in my country), which is missing on the wiki.

The size is not missing (there is a suggestion to add height and
width) and of course you could add ele as well.

cheers,
Martin