Phil, there's a difference between routing calculation (which neither knows nor cares about road names, numbers, signposts etc) and how the result of the calculation is presented to the user. Then you need to relate the nodes/edges in the routing graph back to the real world. The value in this tag (as well as name, destination etc) is that the navigation software can give instructions based on recognisable landmarks instead of referring to way IDs. This distinguishes between pure "routing" and "useful navigation".

Colin