> As a sidenote there seems to be suggestions for "maize" and "corn",
> which, if I interpret this right, are the same plant, the first being
> BE and the second AE? (As we generally use BE, maybe if what I suppose
> is true we should mark "corn" as deprecated?)

>From wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_(disambiguation) :
Corn is the name used in the United States, Canada, and Australia for the
grain maize. In much of the English-speaking world, the term "corn" is a
generic term for cereal crops, such as:
Barley
Oats
Rye
Wheat

This certainly corresponds to my understanding, and my brother's (he's a
farmer).

Looking at other European languages, I think "maize" is less likely to be
misunderstood; in many languages the native word is clearly a variant of
"maize":

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-french/maize?utm_source=searchbox&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=french&utm_content=french.about.com

So I would vote for using "maize" and not "corn" as maize is hyponym of corn.

Colin