On 2012-11-21 21:26, Ben Laenen wrote :
On Wednesday 21 November 2012 20:52:50 sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:
That's the current state of recommendation, but maybe we could start
discussing it to see if that's a good idea to apply speed limits on roads
inside a bounding polygon
Polygons are a bad idea to map built-up areas. It's not uncommon that there's
a bridge where the road on top belongs to the built-up area, but the road
below does not. Or tunnels going under a built-up area, with the tunnel itself
not part of it.

Ben
I didn't speak of a polygon (closed ways) but of a relation (a set of ways).
A speed limit on the roads doesn't prevent you driving as fast as you want in the meadows ;-)
Look at multilinestring, which I see as a swiss-knife way assembly.

In my mind, such a relation is the way to assign the same tags to a collection of objects making a whole with regard to those tags. If we add recursion (nesting), which is very easy to do, that's powerful.

Cheers,

André.