If I remember correctly, the idea of using source:maxspeed for urban limits came from somewhere on continental Europe where there's a rule that if you're within the boundary of an urban place, the speed limit is automatically the urban limit rather than the national one, making it quite feasible to set the speed limit on urban roads (without a survey) and adding "source:maxspeed" to indicate that the maxspeed hadn't been surveyed.

In the UK it's not so straightforward - there are implicit rules about "what creates an urban limit", but they're not as simple as "slow down at the village sign and speed up when you see the village crossed out one". Also, the plethora of slow-down and speed-up zones, and the large number of rural non-national limits and urban non-30 ones make surveys essential. Finally, the same "national speed limit" sign can mean different things on different roads (and different things to different sorts of traffic).

Hence the need for "source:maxspeed" in the UK to mean "I've actually surveyed this rather than just guessed" and the use of "maxspeed:type" to say e.g. "this isn't a 60mph sign, it's a national speed limit one" and all that that implies.

Cheers,
Andy