On 27.03.2013 05:18, Steve Bennett wrote:
>   It sounds essentially like a sidewalk - the only distinction being
> that it's not raised above the road surface. So why not just use
> footway=sidewalk?
>
> The footway=lane tag sounds nice, but it sounds like such a rare
> occurrence that it will never get much rendering/routing support.
> Maybe if you want to be really accurate: highway=whatever,
> footway=sidewalk, sidewalk=lane.

footway=sidewalk is not documented used as an add-on tag to
highway=whatever, but for sidewalks which are mapped as separate ways.
In this case, a separate way seems quite clearly not a good choice,
considering that there is no physical separation whatsoever.

For sidewalks as add-on tags to the main highway, we commonly use
sidewalk=left/right/both/no. So I would suggest sidewalk=right, plus
sidewalk:right=lane in analogy to the existing cycleway:right=lane.

Tobias