On 2013-03-26 15:41, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote :
2013/3/26 André Pirard <a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com <mailto:a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com> >

    Hi,

    I dig this because of the similar problem with different story and
    paint.

    This is the gate in a one-way school service road
    <http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.5351&mlon=5.628629&zoom=18&layers=M>
    where parents drive and drop or pick the kids.
    Very wisely, the administration has painted what is better called
    a /*passage pour piétons* / than a /*pedestrian crossing* /
    because it does not *cross* a road but goes *along* on one half of
    it (it crosses the main road and the children continue to walk on
    it up to the gate (mark)).

    Unfortunately, the only OSM vision of a pedestrian crossing is a
    single node restricting it to be perpendicular to the road.

as you described it above it isn't a crossing, because nothing is crossed, right? So maybe crossing might not be the right tag. That said there are currently 6955 ways tagged with the tag crossing=*, admittedly much less than nodes (367635), but still it is quite possible to map like this.

Indeed, as I said, passage would have seemed less odd than crossing, but we won't change that key. A crossing(=*) is my way of thinking of one too; I have always wondered why OSM calls it a highway. But Osmose just flagged as errors bicycle=yes alone. It wanted us to add network=bicycle.
The reason was that both appear together more than 50 times!!!
So, I think crossing=* would be booked again for contravening people's habits.