Hi
That's already a problem for ways, too:
A motorway with two separate highways in OSM may be one bridge
alltogether - but is mapped as two.
A street where the footways along are separated by a small wall or a
hedge is drawn as distinct osm ways (at least it should be) but if these
ways share the same bridge construction, there the problem is exactly
the same.

There's this proposal already, although I'm not sure if it's the best
solution:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Relations/Proposed/Bridges_and_Tunnels

regards
Peter