On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 11:42 AM, John F. Eldredge <j...@jfeldredge.com>wrote:

> I am also a programmer, and agree that it would make sense to have a
> movable tag with a value of yes or no, in addition to the finer-grained
> bridge=<type> tag. If we were dealing with a database with all bridge types
> required to be in a lookup table, then it would make sense to have the
> bridge type table determine whether or not the bridge was movable. However,
> since we are dealing with a database where users can add new bridge types
> at any time, or may not know which technical term to use for the bridge
> type, having a separate movable=yes tag makes more sense.

Complexities everywhere!  A pretty darn common type of bridge is a movable
bridge that does not move.
e.g. a former bascule or swing bridge that is now fixed open or closed.  Or
put another way: something people will expect
to see as a drawbridge in rendering, but should not be movable for routing
purposes.