On Mon, 2013-06-17 at 17:35 +0200, fly wrote:
> On 16.06.2013 22:50, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> >>@Rob:
> >>Did you ever try to describe the junction with the Lane and Road
> >>Attributes?
> >
> > No, I didn't. And as I've been busy with organising SOTM I didn't even
> > fully read the tag proposal (hence I didn't vote). I hope you agree that
> > my general comment about reading through and attempting to address the
> > critical points on the through_route proposal is the right way forward.
> > Yes, this may mean dropping the tag proposal altogether and working with
> > a different tag instead.
> >
> > In my opinion, what the through_route tag was aiming to do is still a
> > good idea. I see it as more important for small unclassified country
> > roads, rather than multi-lane highways. Here in the UK many small
> > historic rural roads can have tight bends and often, if there is a
> > connecting road, a satnav will give an instruction to turn right/left
> > when one is not in fact needed (or not give an instruction when one is
> > needed).
>
> Now, I get your problem. We are talking about unclassified roads (no
> ref) right ?
>
> Stiil the Lane and Road Attributes should work as you can tag the
> "through_route" and the turning_lanes which might be also the single
> lane leading straight and allowing a turn. As you tag the direction on
> the turns (left/right) the router could get infos about the turns.

You are correct, we are talking about unclassified and tertiary roads.
Although this problem also occurs on secondary, primary and trunk roads,
a classification is a measure of importance and not always quality. But
where did the turning lane come from? or even lanes in many cases?

Here is an example of why this tag is needed, and obviously support from
routers.

http://osrm.at/3Hs

This route misses two important left turn instructions, the instructions
should be
Turn left onto B5065 in both cases.

Here is the first junction http://goo.gl/maps/ouXTC

and the second, which is a very definite left turn, but easily missed as
routers assume you are continuing on the same road, without the
instruction anyone following instructions is likely to carry straight on
http://goo.gl/maps/DSDbt

And again further along the route a vital right turn is missed.
http://osrm.at/3Ht
http://goo.gl/maps/bfuaS

Roads were not planned, they do not go in straight lines and have
evolved over time and we need a means to reflect this and provide
meaningful information.

Phil (trigpoint)