2013/6/25 martinq <osm-mart...@fantasymail.de>

> There is no (common) restriction that limits the actual weight of
>>> truck+trailer, thus it makes no sense to define maxweight as limit for
>>> the complete train.

>> this one is for gross weight of vehicles _including_ trailers:
>> http://commons.m.wikimedia.**org/wiki/File:Zeichen_253.svg<http://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Zeichen_253.svg>
>>

> Yes, see second part of my posting you responded to.

yes, sorry, I saw that too late

> But the example does not support your original idea of defining maxweight
> (=*actual weight* restriction) for complete trains instead of vehicles. It
> only supports it for gross_weight, but this was already pointed out by me.

I think there is a misconception, as far as I am aware of we don't need to
take trailers into account when we speak about maxweight, we only need them
when it comes to gross_weight (or in other words: are there legislations
where you would be interested in trailers for maxweight? Maybe Peter who
brought this in can explain better what he had in mind).

> To focus back on the original topic:
>
> What is your conclusion regarding the proposal and the tagging of these
> restrictions?

IMHO we are fine with gross_weight or something similar, defined according
to the Vienna Convention on Road Traffic, which by the way is signed by a
whole lot of countries from all the world, but misses signature (IIRR) from
the USA and China (so they might have different tagging requirements)

The crucial part is to keep tagging simple. We cannot expect that everyone
> knows the subtle legal differences (I didn't know them until I have done my
> own investigation). A trade-off between pure road-sign tagging (which makes
> interpretation difficult) and the meaning (which is complex due to vehicle,
> trailers, weight types, etc) is required.

I think the difference between actual weight and gross weight is not too
subtle and can tagged by everyone according to the sign --- and if you own
a trailer you should be aware of the restrictions that apply, but you don't
necessarily have to know these in order to put a tag "gross_weight" or
conditional hgv @ gross_weight etc.

cheers,
Martin