On 25/06/2013 23:25, Clifford Snow wrote:

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com <mailto:emac...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    After discussing it on IRC,  how does this sound as a potential
    for a proposal:

    A new tag called residential, where the value specifies the type of
    residential, such as:

    residential=apartment
    residential=condo
    residential=co-op
    residential=single_room_occupancy

    (these would be open for refinement and addition of course).

    Then a user could tag the apartments with all the normal tags one
    would expect- name, addr:*, phone, website, etc.

Sorry for the delay in responding to everyone. Must have been from all the excitement of SOTMUS.

I think Serge has proposed the best solution. I also live in a multistory building with retail and offices below. I had been tagging them amenity=apartment, but will switch them to residential=apartment. I build a proposal for a new tag which I'll announce shortly. It will give a chance for a more formal discussion.

Do bear in mind that residential apartments are often called 'flats' in British English, and there is a documented tag addr:flats to record the number(s) of the flats within a block.

--
Steve