On Sat, 2013-06-29 at 20:04 +0000, Kytömaa Lauri wrote:

> > needed e.g. in Finland) or of
> >a single vehicle (needed in
> >most of the vienna convention
> > countries)
>
> By far the most common sign is - even here - of the "vehicle laden
> weight" variant. Only the "max gross weight of a vehicle combination"
> sign does not (legally) exist - here, that is. Implying that we're not
> following the convention is just... uneducated.
>
> It would be best of someone living in the UK atm could check of most
> of the maxweight tagged ways there are in fact with a traffic sign "no
> entry for goods vehicles with gross weight over X tonnes", or the
> laden weight limit variant. Regardless of what the wiki example photos
> show.

In the UK, the most common weight restriction is '7.5t except for
access'. These generally cover an area, 7.5t in the UK being the legal
definition of a HGV. These restrictions are to keep trucks to the main
roads and away from peoples homes, generally these can be tagged using
hgv=destination. In other countries the definition is 3.5t, but again
these can be tagged as hgv=destination or hgv=no.

The other type of weight restriction, without the except for access
sign, is generally tagged with a maxweight={value}. These are usually
where there is a weak structure, such as a bridge and a heavy vehicle is
prohibited from crossing at all. The lowest number I know of is 2t.

I have not seen an axle weight restriction in years.

I do think we are getting too complicated with here, surely its simply a
hgv tag, or a maxweight tag, simples.

Phil (trigpoint)