I would use "brand".  They tend to have an Ace Hardware sign in addition to the
individual store name, and Ace Hardware advertising flyers.

Andrew Errington <erringt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Either they are associated with Ace Hardware, or they are not.  If
> they
> are, then it's probably easiest to use brand=*.  I doubt very much
> that
> they are a co-op.
>
> My suggestion:
> brand=Ace Hardware
> name=(the store name)
> operator=(the name of the owner)
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Andrew
>

> On 30 August 2013 11:55, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > In the United States and Canada, we have a very large organization
> of
> > hardware stores called Ace Hardware:
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Hardware
> >
> > Each Ace Hardware is independently owned and operated, and each of
> > them uses their own name.
> >
> > But they all belong to a single organization called Ace Hardware,
> > which provides them benefits in ordering, etc.
> >
> > Since each store is independently owned and operated, the "operator"
> > tag does not fit, since the stores are not controlled by a central
> > organization, such as would be the case with a franchise.
> >
> > And since each store is branded uniquely, and don't always use the
> > name Ace Hardware in their name[1] or other material, I don't think
> > "brand" fits either.
> >
> > But we may want to indicate that the relationship between store and
> > co-op exists, so in this case, since they belong to a co-op, I've
> used
> > co-op=Ace Hardware.
> >
> > If someone has an alternative suggestion for this type of
> arrangement,
> > I'm interested in hearing it.
> >
> > - Serge
> >
> > [1] Sometimes they do, such as in the case of "Springfield Ace
> > Hardware" (a real place), but two Ace Hardware stores near me are
> > called "Aquarius Hardware" and "AJO Home and Lumber", neither of
> which
> > indicates any affiliation.

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness:
only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
-- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.