On 18/09/13 18:15, Lukas Hornby wrote:
HI,

Having studied all of the comments, we seem to agree that a tag is needed, that it is worth tagging. However the ambiguity over plot (which was the word I used in my proposal and lot (which has been read into plot) seems to be a sticking point.

I am moved to resubmit this proposal under the name allotments:allotment_garden. This seems to be as close to universal as can be achieved. Where the concept of allotments doesn't exist, then the tag is not useful in that region.

Why? Everyone who has an allotment would call the individual rented area a 'plot' or their 'allotment', but never an allotment garden. An allotment site is made of plots, probably with tracks or paths between the plots and possibly with shared areas such as parking, a communal store or shed and water tanks or taps.

This also paves the way for another useful sub-divison of allotments, allotments:community_garden. A previous proposal was made here http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Community_food_growing which made the same mistakes I did in using 'landuse' incorrectly. This tag would apply to allotment areas used by the community rather than the individual and is consistent with the concept of an allotment in the US.

In terms of procedure, should I rename the proposal, or abandon it and start anew?

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly