On 2013-09-17 21:49, Rob Nickerson wrote :

> Daniel wrote:
> > - Make it easier to edit the wiki.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I agree - the wiki can be hard to edit if you have never done this
> before. This is why I requested a visual editor (that is now used by
> Wikipedia) to be added. Unfortunately this requires an update to the
> version of MediaWiki that we use so is not a simple case of installing
> a plug-in. Hopefully it will be picked up sooner rather than later but
> in a volunteer based project patience is essential :-)
I tried that editor and it's really not worth it. It's not available on
en.wikipedia (shame?) but only as beta testing for other languages.  It
looks like a very basic, unhandy rich text editor (e.g. no drag and
drop), with absolutely no possibility to edit markup (e.g. our
ubiquitous {{tag ...}} and with restrictions due to web programming.
But if you're really fond of such editing, you may copy an OSM page
code, paste it to Wikipedia, edit it there, and copy&paste it back to OSM.
I personally don't believe much in Web editors, including e-mail.  That
should run on a PC.
I'm editing HTML with Kompozer which is not extraordinarily more complex
that a basic editor, but it's more than complete and handy.
If Kompozer does not know some markup, you just pull the curtain, edit
the code and come back to the visual display and editor.
The boon is that the server's files are mapped (mounted) in my Ubuntu
filesystem, as if the server was on my PC, just like editing local files.

Cheers,

André.