Am 04.10.2013 21:47, schrieb Richard Fairhurst:
> John F. Eldredge wrote:
>> That brings up an issue for routing in general, not
>> just cycle-routing.  The routing algorithm needs
>> to take into account the day of the week, and what
>> time it will be when you reach a point with time-
>> dependent restrictions, or only intermittent
>> service (such as a bus or ferry).
>
> Well, yes and no. There are certainly routers that do that; the very
> wonderful CycleStreets has a "what time are you leaving" input field. But
> it's equally possible to make the case that, for the 2% edge case (your
> route includes a ferry), it's not worth cluttering up the UI for the 98% who
> are just, say, cycling across town to work.
>
> FWIW, I'm planning to flag up the presence of a ferry by saying "route
> includes ferry, 5 services an hour" and let the user drag the route
> somewhere else if that doesn't suit them.
I guess currently the estimated time necessary for the calculated route
is shown somewhere, e.g. like

Duration: 3 hours, 4 minutes

What about printing the estimated time necessary in a way like this:

Duration: estimated 7 hours, 4 minutes but includes ferry which gives
between 3 hours, 17 minutes and 11 hours, 23 minutes, depending on ferry
schedule"

This would print what you want:
- the necessary time without any waiting times (if the ferry would
travel just for you),
- the worst case time (if you just miss the ferry and have to wait for
the next)
- the average case, if you arrive the ferry at a random time.

For calculating the best (shortest, fastest...) route, either the
average case would be used.

regards
Peter