On 2013-10-19 22:37, Philip Barnes wrote :
> On Sat, 2013-10-19 at 22:13 +0200, Christoph Hormann wrote:
>> On Saturday 19 October 2013, Jonathan wrote:
>>> It seems a river is something that has a source and a mouth (either
>>> where it joins the sea, lake or a larger river).  So I would say that
>>> only streams that have been named "River ...." or "The River ..."
>>> should ever be tagged as a river, everything else is a stream.
>> Be careful here - different languages use different distinctions and
>> even in English use of the terms might differ by country or region.
>> And of course duplicating information that is already in the name tag
>> is not necessary.
> Just in the UK I can think of Brook, Clough and Beck. And thats just the
> Midlands and some of the North of England.

And in French a rivière that flows to the sea is called a fleuve.
I don't think I would call that a stream.

The main factor of importance is the flow (m^3 /s), or rather the mean flow.
Divided by the section, m^2 , roughly depth × width, that yields the
speed (m/s)..
And if you divide the flow by the speed and depth, you get the width and
you know if you can jump ;-)

But, indeed, I prefer spending time on precise traffic tagging so that a
GPS does not send a car onto a path or into a river !

Cheers,

André.