On 02/11/13 18:47, Jonathan wrote:
This question is really aimed at UK roads but the same may apply to other countries.

I'm not clear with the distinction of a Trunk road in the UK. The wiki suggests a trunk road is "high performance roads that don't meet the requirement for highway <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway>=motorway <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dmotorway>" which to me would suggest an A road that is a dual carriageway. Further on in the wiki it says that any A road in the UK signed with "Green" signs is a "Trunk" road.

I know of many "Green" "A" roads that aren't much more than country lanes, they are definitely not "high performance" and I don't feel they should be "Trunk" roads, I feel they should be "Primary" roads.

Perhaps you might like to see this question from the help system:
https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/228/uk-road-was-detrunked-why-does-osm-still-have-it-tagged-highwaytrunk

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly