> Dear Clifford, dear Pierren,
>
> thanks for your thoughts. Here some answers
>

>> What/Who defines what is an Architectural Monument? When I think it is more
>> along the lines of what Wikipedia [1] defines as a monument.
>
> No, I'm not (specifically) talking about specific monuments created for
> commemoration purpose.
>
>> What I think
>> of as a building designed by famous architects,  it is more along the lines
>> of a Frank Gehry building. i.e. The  Guggenheim
>> Museum
>
> Yes, this I have in mind, and even "less important".
>
>> Can you clarify your proposal to help me better understand. (Pics would be
>> great.)
>
> Find 2 examples from the Basel-list under [1] and [2]
>
>> Also, do you mean an actual import? If so, please make sure the list is
>> licensed appropriately for OSM and you discuss on the import mailing list.
>
> Yes, I'm talking about a specific import. It's part of the import of the
> geodata of the State of Basel. Yes, we have explicit right to do so in
> written from the government authority [3]. No, I did not intend to discuss it
> on the import mailing list, since it's a very local import, I discussed it on
> the swiss-talk only.

I'm not going to jump on this but you will very likely be frowned upon
for not mentioning it to the imports list.

> Pieren:
>
>> More seriously, is it not something very subjective ? is OSM the right
>> place for such list ? At least, "heritage" [1] is based on something
>> "verifiable" [2].
>
> Yes, it is subjectively what is relevant enough to be tagged in OSM.
> The current list is a bit less subjective, since it's the official government
> list of the state of Basel which enumerates 36 buildings as being of
> architectural interest. Is this verifiable enough?

Ah! This official listing sounds much better, to me. You could perhaps
use "listed_status" as we do in the UK, if that is appropriate:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:listed_status

> Thinking of it, a solution might be to just create Wikipediapages for all of
> the 36 buildings (most are probably already there), and then set the
> wikipedia tag to the building? But would that no remove information, since
> there are so many wikipedia-tags, how can I get a map of all architectural
> monuments in a city?

You would need to combine the two datasets. One way of doing this is
via linked-data: dbpedia (which gives you data from wikipedia
about-boxes, and linkedgeodata which gives you OSM.
http://dbpedia.org/
http://linkedgeodata.org/

Dan