Color-coding is likely used by the fire department to signify matters such as
how much water-flow is available.  I don't know how standardized these color
codes are, however.

On February 27, 2014 1:36:48 PM CST, Andreas Labres <l...@lab.at> wrote:
>Richard,
>
>fire_hydrant:type should remain unchanged, as this is negotiated with
>local fire
>departments here in Austria (as well as Germany). At least this is true
>for
>pillar and underground, those are most common and most important.
>
>Then there are fixed suction points, either from a pond or from the
>ground water
>(well). There is no ideal tagging for this available, this "pond" may
>be adjustable.
>
>Things like the color don't make that much sense to me, is this one
>
>http://www.scardo.net/typo/fileadmin/hydrantderwoche/20121125_WeinWasser_Ai.jpg
>
>blue? or stainless steel? But everybody here recognizes this as a
>hydrant,
>whatever color that is.
>
>Hydrant class may make sense to you, this is what we use the diameter
>for (most
>common are 80 and 100). Just to give you an idea how those are used
>(really used
>by the local fire department there):
>
>   http://openfiremap.org/?zoom=17&lat=48.12184&lon=16.33877
>
>Other optional parameters as you like, they don't make that much sense
>to us here.
>
>/al
>(from Vienna, Austria)

John F. Eldredge -- j...@jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.