Just consider we are talking about pipelines here, "optical pipelines"
which are going out of any urban area most of the time.

Indeed there's no point of mapping MAN networks in OSM since editing tools
aren't able to distinguish such micro-data from the rest of the dataset yet.

Like gas & oil pipelines, we can map markers and cables too, regarding long
distance links.

We won't be able to map optical circuits or L2 links and that's not the
goal. Let's try to give a map of bare infrastructure before everyone forget
about it (and before everyone dig in it 'cause no one can inform them of
what is under their feet).
FT/TRN markers are disappearing in France, get stolen or buried in fields
borders and Jean-Marc's underwater ducts get sometimes forgotten by French
navigable ways managers (even if they can be sustainably mapped in its GIS).

Keep in mind that you have no marker in urban places : no mapping too.
http://infos-reseaux.com/photos/album/71-dispositifs-reperage

If you have suggestions for tags, just share with us.

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com