"Layer= tag clearly (logically) implies that some data is above or
below some other data. At least to my logic."

>From this logic, layer=-1 means the object is >rendered< beneath
anything that has layer=0 (or, conversely, that anything with layer=0
is rendered on top of anything with layer=-1). It does not mean that
it >is< in fact below it (though it almost always is). That's the
situation of a river passing under a bridge. Likewise, layer=0 means
the object is rendered below anything that has layer=1. Also the same
situation for the situation of a bridge over a river (or of a river
under a bridge). Both approaches should be possible.

"At least OsmAnd renders all waterways with layer=-1 with dashed
casing, as if they were underground, which to me makes sense"

This makes absolutely no sense to me. OsmAnd has confused the concept
of "rendering layer order" with the concept of "level" (underground,
on the ground, above the ground). It may also have confused it with
the concept of a "tunnel", which is rendered using dashed casing in
OSM-Carto (the default map style of the main website).

"I don't understand why anyone would do this. That's it. Why?"

Reason: to avoid having to add a layer tag to every bridge. If a
single river is crossed by 100 bridges, it is easier to add a layer=-1
tag to the river than to add a layer=1 to each of the 100 bridges.

Another reason: to work around the limitations of validators in order
to avoid warnings about "missing bridges". But IMHO, this is the wrong
way to handle the situation, since a workaround is easy AND is
exploited in practice. See here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:layer#layer.3D-1_erroneously_used_for_many_italian_rivers

"So, again : why tag things with with layer= tag when they are
essentially on ground level = not above or below other data (or at
least natural objects that might be mapped one day *) ? Am I missing
something here?"

I believe you are missing this: layer=0 does not mean "ground level".
The closest to that idea is level=0, even though it is not always
"ground level" but nearly so almost always. Layer=0 means: "render
this to layer 0". Layer=-1 means: "render this to layer -1", which is
rendered before layer 0, therefore, anything on layer 0 is drawn on
top of things on layer -1.