If it's someone's property, it should have an access=private tag. Some
owners may allow passage (access=permissive), in which case tracks
would be routable and likely interesting shortcuts. The routing app
needs to decide whether the shortcut is worth the trouble.

Besides, tracktype can be used on other kinds of highway besides
highway=track, and this is what I'm most insterested in. See that it's
been used for many service roads and residential ways:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Key:tracktype#non-tracks

It shouldn't be that bad in these combinations, but it may be eventually.

One more thing: most mentions of tracktype so far rarely cite the
aspects that are mentioned in the wiki (surface
firmness/endurance/solidity). Instead, people seem to have in mind the
concepts assigned to the smoothness tag (how bumpy the surface is). If
people are not using tracktype as it's described, it may be the time
for a review of its definition.