On 02/04/2014 17:14, Richard Z. wrote:
as explained in the rationale the dimensions of the bridge/culvert are frequently only a fraction of the achievable precision. Think of a track crossing a small creek in a forest valley int the mountains. The GPS precision will be 10 meters if you are lucky, the brunnel 2-3m. Mapping this the old fashioned way will produce junk data, not precision.

Rubbish. Please don't rely on a GPSr. It is only one, of many, ways to survey. If I see a small bridge over a stream, say 3m I'll map is as that, because that's how it accurately is in the real world. Some users have access to detailed aerial imagery to help map accurately.

David Fox

---
is active.