IMHO I think that the main idea in the concept of "roundabout" is that
the center of the cycle (which may not be a perfect circle, sometimes
not even an ellipse) has right of way over entering traffic. That's
why I find it weird when:
- Croatian (and perhaps some other) authorities apply the roundabout
sign to a circle where entering traffic has right of way (that's the
exact opposite of the original idea)
- US authorities won't consider a roundabout a circle when all
entrances have "stop" signs
- Brazilians (but not the authorities) call pretty much any circular
structure a "roundabout" (I'm Brazilian btw)

However, these could probably be considered local adaptations of the
original concept - which kind of defeat its original purpose.

When using navigation apps, it makes sense to get special instructions
only (and always) when you have right of way because of the many
factors the driver needs to pay attention to while in the circle. In
other non-roundabout circles, the driver has to stop within the
circle, so he/she may receive additional voice instructions at each
stop.

Other than navigation, I don't see a good reason to tag roundabouts.

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> Wonder if we're talking regional differences.  The south of France is known
> to follow the Vienna Convention on Traffic (traffic in the circle yields to
> traffic entering from the right), and the US and Canada make no signage
> differences between a roundabout and a traffic circle.  For navigation
> purposes, they're functionally identical contexts, as to who has the right
> of way, I believe that should be best clarified by strategically placed
> nodes or relations for traffic signals, stop or give way.
>
> On Jun 17, 2014 4:27 PM, "Volker Schmidt" <vosc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> No. One of the characteristics of a roundabout is that you have precedence
>> when you are in it. In this case there is a main road that has precedence
>> over the two minor roads.
>> If you want to turn left (looking in the direction of the photo) you have
>> to yield to oncoming traffic coming from the opposite direction.
>> This is a main road crossing a minor road with an island (or short piece
>> of dual carriageway) in the middle of the junction
>>

>> On 17 June 2014 22:47, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'd call it a full blown roundabout, since you're still expected to go
>>> around it to the right in order to go left.

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"Nullius in verba."