I don't know what John's example is, but it would make sense to me to
include the private residence if it is a place where people who are part of
the religious community live, for example a parsonage or a dormitory of a
monastery.  Regarding gardens, they may have a religious purpose
(meditation and reflection, or include a labyrinth) but not be a place of
worship.