I personally think that 'centre_turn_lane=yes' is a good tag.  It cuts down on
a ton of extra tags where that might be confusing to new and experienced users.

Plus, this way you shouldn't need to add an extra 'lane' to the lane count,
making routers think there's more lanes that aren't really 'used' that often
unlike a dedicated turn lane for one direction at an intersection where it is
important.

Seriously, isn't this simpler,

centre_turn_lane=yes
lanes=2

than this for Center Turn Lanes?

lanes=3
lanes:both_ways=1turn:lanes:both_ways=left

Simpler, and to the point my example.  All the routers would have to do is tell
the user to enter the 'Center Turn Lane' to make their left (or right in
England) turn when the way has that tag.  Especially with highway signs all
around calling it a 'Center Turn Lane'.   It's just common sense here.  I mean,
if you really want to we could count the lane in the lane counts, but the 2nd
example doesn't fully work since sometimes, you do need that lane to turn
'right' and get into the main lanes when coming out of a business if there is
heavy traffic going the way you need to go.  I know some states frown on doing
that, but most understand that needs to be done sometimes.

And another note here, I don't think you should really be attacking people here
on-list when they can't defend themselves, Paul.  It just isn't right and not
fair.

-James