On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 11:40:00PM -0400, Christopher Hoess wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Richard Z. <ricoz....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 12:28:59PM -0400, Christopher Hoess wrote:
> >

> > > Maintaining both "bridge=movable" and "bridge:movable=*" has at least one
> > > useful side effect, which I documented, for bridge geeks like me (i.e.,
> > the
> > > people who are probably going to be adding hyper-complicated bridge
> > > detail); it lets you tag a formerly or planned movable span that is now
> > > fixed in place with "bridge:movable=*" but not "bridge=movable". So you
> > > could search for "bridge:movable=swing" and find both working and fixed
> > > swing spans, but a router wouldn't treat the fixed ones as movable. (See
> > > here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Big_Bayou_Canot_train_wreck for
> > the
> > > relevance of such spans.)
> >
> > This may be too subtle for many people and somewhat against the principle
> > of least surprise.
> >

> Good point. I can easily see people "correcting" "bridge=yes" to
> "bridge=movable" because they see the bridge:movable tag on a span. What if
> we made "bridge=fixed" a synonym of "bridge=yes"?

fine for me.

> > > bridge=covered has been mentioned now and before as possibly redundant to
> > > "bridge=yes" and "covered=yes". I left it in because of this message:
> > >  http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-May/013546.html
> > > <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2013-May/013546.html>
> > which
> > > suggested that a bridge covered over wasn't quite the same thing as a
> > > covered bridge. I don't have a strong opinion on changing or keeping it
> > at
> > > this point.
> >
> > I would be in favor of keeping that one but the problem is - you can't have
> > covered bridge=movable or aqueduct. I have seen covered aqueducts.
>

> I don't think there are any extant covered movable bridges. Re. aqueducts,
> in what sense was that "covered? A closed pipe? If we retain
> "bridge=covered" in addition to "covered=yes", I think it should be
> particular to the "classic" covered bridge where a truss (usually) has been
> covered to keep out the weather.

not a pipe, a classic viaduct with canal, a roof and arcade style half-open
side walls. The purpose was not quite clear - not drinking water and other
parts were not covered. Should we have bridge:cover ?

> > > As long as we're simplifying possible values in bridge=,
> > > "bridge=low_water_crossing", which is somewhat established but a bit
> > > awkward, could theoretically just be marked by a separate tag, maybe
> > > "flood_prone=yes". The essential quality we're looking to convey is that
> > > the bridge is engineered to spend some time underwater and come out
> > intact.
> >
> > those can also look as culverts and it would be nice to have the same
> > solution
> > whether it is a bridge or a culvert. I have tagged those with
> > tunnel=culvert
> > and ford=yes
>

> "flood_prone" might be a little better for both in that I think of a ford
> as having water more or less perennially covering the crossing, whereas a
> low water bridge, like a road dipping into an arroyo, is only covered by
> irregular intervals of high water.

the flooding can be more or less frequent. In some places that I have seen
the flooding was manmade und thus mostly predictable, bellow a dam.
The difference I think is how it will be used for routing, so perhaps both
are valid alternatives.

Richard