On 23.08.2014 23:52, Tod Fitch wrote:
> When looking into how to render them I have become aware of an alternative
> tagging of waterway=wadi as mentioned at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:waterway%3Dwadi

That page was created in 2013, probably to document existing usage (12000 by
now). However,  intermittent=yes had been approved 2 years earlier, and it
is more flexible and even more widely used. So it seems that waterway=wadi
was only used on features created before 2011, or by mappers who don't know
about the intermittent=yes tag. For rendering, I would treat waterway=wadi
as a shortcut for waterway=river + intermittent=yes. The usual rendering for
intermittent waterways is to make them dashed. If a renderer has a distinct
signature for wadis but does not support intermittent=yes, I would call that
a bug.